Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Secret Study, Handel, and Learning

Yesterday, I went to my voice lesson with PrincessPea. Usually I don't take her but I didn't have a babysitter. Rebecca was wonderful and handled the typical two year old interruptions well. She is a marvelous and exciting instructor who is extremely patient with my lack of theory. Her patience and love of teaching I especially appreciate considering she has a PhD in music which is completely opposite of mine in science. I truly appreciate having her not just as an instructor but also as a role model. While I was singing through an Italian piece, PrincessPea wandered into the other room. I wasn't too worried because she was particularly enamored with their dogs who were in the other room.
I completed the piece and went looking for her - but she was no where to be found!
I called and heard a high pitched little, "I'm okay Mommy!".
From where did this little voice herald from?
None other than the worst possible place for her to wander:
Mac Wilberg's personal, private and very secluded study!
I did not dare to go up those stairs and see what my lovely two year old had done to the esteemed composer and conductor of the Mormon Tabernacle's sanctuary!!!
My thoughts tumbled about bringing horrified visions of toddler fingers holding permanent markers and scribbling all over brilliant compositions, and strewing sheet music all over the floor.
I could not enter the sanctuary.
I couldn't be the first to see the damage wrought.
I let Rebecca go up there to survey the damage. She laughed when she went up and said, "You have to see this!" I went up the stairs still worried about what I would see. The room was spotless! (Whew!)
On the couch my daughter was sitting prim as a princess with a big red book open in her lap.
She said, "I'm reading." What was she "reading"?
Oh, just a little light reading about the composer Handel. My daughter may have to teach musical theory to me!I am glad that, from watching those around her, PrincessPea knows the value of reading and learning. John and I both love to learn - even if it is something that stretches us in a different direction (like singing!). She is very aware and watches those around her closely. I'm glad she has so many family members and friends with many different types of knowledge and abilities. I'm excited to see what she learns in the future. No matter what, I will have to play The Messiah a lot this Christmas!