Saturday, September 12, 2009

Conversation with a Hummingbird

I had a lovely conversation with a hummingbird today. I was in my backyard picking zinnias for a bouquet, when she came whizzing by. She stopped midair not ten inches from my face! I backed up a touch - so startled was I by her friendly demeanor. She hovered there looking at me, then turned to my zinnias and then turned back at me. She was wondering if I would be so kind as to share my zinnias. I held up my bouquet slowly as a nectar offering to her. (As much as I love Midsummer's Night Dream I have no need of nectar and felt free to share.) She then partook of each of the six picked zinnias! On the largest one, the coral pink one which is a personal favorite, she landed her petite little feet upon a single petal. Then, for just a half of a second, she stood still upon the flower as I held it! Ahh! It was such a thrill to watch at such close proximity God's beautiful, flitting creature! Such a "be still and know that I am God" moment!
When she had had her fill, she then gave a little throaty trill of thanks and went on to the zinnias I had not yet picked.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I love this. What a magical moment.

The Anderson's said...

Amazing.... a beautiful moment.