Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Party and People with Pizazz

I am constantly amazed at how many truly amazing people there are in the world. No, I don't mean "amazing" in the "where-in-the-world-did-they-come-from-go-back-to-whatever-rock-that-was" kind of way, but more in the "Wow, how-fun-and-cool-are-they" sort of way. We have lived in six different areas within three different states and each time have found friends which inspire us. (I have been missing a number of you guys! :( triste!) Now, I'll be honest: this area was slower than most in finding them. But now, after thinking it over, I attribute that more to us and our super crazy year than to the caliber of the area. We have been an island unto ourselves - I haven't even thrown a friend party yet in our new home! (gasps echo throughout blogdom) !!! Tonight we attended a surprise birthday party for a fabulous lady I'm glad I'm getting to know better. (I'll post her blog link as soon as I ask permission!)
It was at the Asian Star. This restaurant was an unknown to me until tonight, but I can say that - unlike many Asian restaurants with the words "new" or "star" in their name - it does deserve its name. It was yummy and the company was too. Note to my literal midwestern friends: No, Mormons are not cannibals, I just meant it was good company. :) As I looked around the room, I saw people which we will be getting to know over the years to come and I knew that there was so many good things that I will learn from them. And that got me thinking...

It made me think of this book that I really need to complete with pages to fill with people I'm thankful for. After the Lord and my family, here's just a very few of the people I have met that have inspired me throughout the years:
  • Seminary teacher, Brother Brinley: for asking "Are you happy?" one day
  • Koriann Green: sweetest friend a girl could ask for in high school
  • other friends in high school: for helping keep our standards high
  • many, many teachers: for intriguing my mind - you know what they say about idle minds...
  • all those guys, dates and boyfriends helping me define the guy I really wanted to marry (I'm not even going there, but if you feel that you are part of this group and want to know, email me. LOL!)
  • Jenna Huffman: because a little sussy is good! especially freshman year...
  • Armenia: for inspiring me to be a better friend
  • ROTC: because the more you give the more you will receive and for some priceless quotes my personal fav yelled at PT: "A stretched groin is a happy groin one, sir!"
  • Natalie Lindman: because a bit older and wiser means a lot in college!
  • Julie Knight: for her loving, energetic example of motherhood
  • Holly Brain: pure and lovely - just like her kids' clothing :)
  • Mindy Schetter: for setting the bar higher for what is "good enough" wow, I still want to borrow your notes
  • Jane Maisch: rising above it all in search of balance (and liking teen angst movies with me)
  • Karen Likar: just love and sweetness itself again and again
  • Valerie and KarPeo Ya: demonstrating to me what it truly means to "love thy neighbor"
  • Heatons, Smiths, and Blums: for demonstrating that one can get a graduate degree and still have fun - like playing Settlers of Catan and dressing up for Halloween - age is just a state of mind
  • Nils and Elspeth Johanson: color is good for the soul and your walls
  • Nursery class: bubbles make everything better, God loves fish and every one of us
  • 15 yr. old Sunday School class: doing the little things count
  • 4/5 year old Sunday School class: Let's stop talking about it and just DO it!
  • Alison and Daniel Daines: together a little love and laughter go a long way despite it all
  • the Gardners: people do follow gourmet recipes and actually write recipe books
  • medicaid patients: be thou humble
Well, it's late and I'm still thinking of people and lessons and what I've learned over the years - some planned, some not - all needed either right then or in the future. Here's to the future friends and lessons!

No comments: