Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Elusive


I am a casual bird watcher - think binoculars by the window versus tromping through the amazon. I love watching them and finding out what types they are, their habits etc. I spent a small fortune on birdseed the years I lived in Michigan - even though we were so poor then I would put things back on the shelf at the dollar store - I'm serious. Looking back, it was worth it because of our enjoyment watching the birds and squirrels in our backyard. Now we live in the West with less colorful birds, but we still have seen the following menagerie in our backyard: house finches, sparrows, chickadee, american goldfinch, orioles, bald eagle, many other hawks and eagles, owls, downy woodpecker, flicker, geese, ducks and my personal favorite who flies all the way inland from the Pacific Ocean just to see me: the Pelican. But we'll spotlight him later. This is about this crazy WHITE house finch! It has been hard to get a photo of him (her?) and its mate! But here he is! Definitely white. Definitely paired up with a house finch mate in our pine tree! Wonder what the chicks will look like?

No comments: