Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My Nasal Passages will Never be the Same

It has been 5 years since the 2003 Northeast Blackout. I can't believe it has been that long. My memories of that time have stayed quite fresh because they were burned into my olfactory senses. Well, the memories are as fresh as the smell of decay can be. We were living in Michigan at the time. We had a freezer in our basement full of food (as poor students we would stock up on sales and I would make lots of meals ahead of time to make it easier for our hectic schedule). You cannot imagine the smell that smacked us in the face when we came home and opened that freezer! Now, I can handle a lot of smells (except when I'm pregnant). I can handle 90 yr. old ladies with rotting teeth that smell like old spinach and broccoli. I can handle the anaerobic bacteria smell that puffs into the air after opening up necrotic tooth canal. I can even handle 3 pack-a-day smokers with strong liquor on the breath, hairy tongue, and periodontal disease that you can smell from the waiting room. But I could not handle the smell from that freezer full of week old rotting meat. IMy nasal passages will never be the same. Thank heaven I am blessed with the nicest, most generous husband in the world! He cleaned up the whole mess - armed with a full box of garbage bags, a mountain of rags and a bottle of bleach. He looked like a train robber in an old western movie with his bandanna wrapped around his face. He wasn't a gun slinger, since there was no gun - but he did wield that Clorox like a weapon! Six months later, we were able to use the freezer again. I swear I smell something...

No comments: