Sunday, September 14, 2008

Summer Update: For the Birds







You may have noticed I like birds (wild ones, not pet ones). As a kid, my sisters and I saved a burrowing owl with a broken wing - for a long while you could see Hooter at the Hogle Zoo. As a teen, I fed an orphan fledgling through a dropper till it was old enough to fly away. Since I was ten, I have loved the Tracy Aviary. A tall stork took a liking to me and followed me around the park. He was just as tall as I was then and could look me in the eye. Looking back, I realize that incident could have led to a serious case of ornithophobia. Luckily, I thought it was just neat, not creepy.
Nana, Peapod and I took an afternoon to appreciate our feathered friends. We were amazed by the condor with his huge wings outspread. Watching a flock of parrots flying back and forth in their large enclosure reminded me of doing ladder exercises in basketball practices. We got up close and personal with an adorable miniature owl. My personal favorite was seeing a baby flamingo try to mimic his mother's one legged stance! Those little ones sure watch us closely, don't they!?!

No comments: