Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Shepherd in Overalls


This past week, my great uncle Bill died after many brave years of being on dialysis. For most people I know, they are lucky to even know the name of their great uncle. I was lucky enough to get to know a bit of this wonderful man who always brought a smile to my face. He and my aunt Caroline are easy to love.
I will always remember Uncle Bill in blue denim overalls and a plaid shirt. I'm sure he will ask for white ones in heaven. He was a gardener. He and Aunt Caroline had a vegetable garden bigger than my whole yard! I am impressed that despite multiple draining trips for dialysis miles away, they kept such a beautiful garden with rows and rows of veggies!
Uncle Bill was a shepherd. I remember getting bum lambs from his flocks to raise. I wrote about these experiences here; I'm grateful for what I learned from raising sheep.
I think Uncle Bill's experiences here on earth made his heart tender. The shepherd in overalls is now with the Shepherd. The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want; He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters; He restores my soul.

1 comment:

sherral said...

I think he will have white overalls and if anyone has a halo he will. Love you, Sherral