Friday, August 21, 2009

The Tuck 'n Roll

PeaPod's been potty training this month! Since I decided not to force it until she was ready, it has been surprisingly easy. It has been a great experience to see her personality come out while learning this new thing. When she was ready to do it, she did it! She is quite independent and wants to do it all by herself. "Get out, Mommy, please!", is a frequent sentence.
I love hearing her say, "I did it!" Which has been this summer's theme for all activities.
It was a challenge for me to figure out how to encourage her to go when she was distracted playing and having fun. If I asked her straight out, "Do you need to use the potty?" The answer was inevitably, "NO!".
But, then Mommy got sneaky! I would say, "My turn to use the potty!" and make a run for the bathroom. Peapod has learned from gymnastics and playing with outher kids that one does NOT want to be left out of something that takes "turns". We have had many a race for our "turn" at the loo. As soon as we had gone cold turkey to panties, she was getting it. I would hear the flush of the toilet without ever reminding her. Washing the hands is a big deal. Soap is applied a bit too liberally. My favorite thing though is her technique of solving the problem of rolling out too much toilet paper. Since she knows I don't like it strung all around the bathroom, but it sometimes is hard to reroll, she takes the end of the roll and tucks it up and rolls the rest around the paper holder. It's hilarious. This blog post is going to be super embarrassing for her later in life, but I just want you to know PrincessPea, that I'm excited to see your capability, tenacity, and positive attitude topple other challenges and learning opportunities in life. Love you! (or as you say right now: Yove You!

No comments: