Sunday, September 23, 2007

Rolling and crawling

Well, it has been 2 weeks in this wheelchair. I have a lot of admiration for those who spend more time in one than I will. I feel like have been given a teeny tiny insight into their world. I have just 1 more week to go, although the fam warns me not to get too excited if I need to use it during the weeks of crutches. I have been able to cope quite easily the last 2 weeks. The hardest things are not being able to get on the ground to play with Princess Pea and watching Hubby and my Mom transplant all her plants to my yard and not being able help. I entertained the thought of army crawling through the grass to get to dig, but then my legs would start hurting and set me back to reality. Army crawling does sound nice considering all my muscles are screaming to be stretched and used. I think I'm going crazy from the lack of movement. Surprisingly, I have had enough patience to handle most of the limitations the wheelchair has set on my mobility - I think it helps that I know it is temporary and if anything can teach you patience - dental school can! There are plenty of things that could burst one's bubble like: I get stuck routinely in the hallway outside the bathroom or I am pretty slow in the carpet. But overall this house is a wonderful house to get around in. The hallways are mostly wide with tile and the kitchen is big enough to get around in. The bottom cabinets all pull out. The master is on the main floor. It could be a lot worse - like being in my old apartment with 2 stories of stairs!

Dad even built me the OMEGA RAMP that could be permanent from the looks of it in the garage and John and Mike built me a ramp for the back deck. Hubby, Pea and I go on "walks" with me holding Pea Pod and Hubby driving us around the block a few times every night. Sometimes he goes "turbo" and starts jogging. Pea and I love that! It is nice to get outside and breathe the early autumn air. I love this time of year; it is probably my favorite time of year with the leaves and crisp morning air. Summer flowers giving their final salute and pruning and planting bulbs for the next spring. It is a farewell with the hope of a "Hello" in the future months. I can't wait to see those daffodils nodding hello to me this spring!
The very best part of this last week was when I decided to videotape Princess Pea's attempts at crawling - which were just adorable! Either her hands would both move and she'd do a face plant or she'd raise her whole body in the air like she was doing army push ups. But then, right in the middle of my taping, she does it! She's crawling! This tiny little crawl that is absolutely adorable. She's slow so you'd think that you'd be able to contain her, but no, she's everywhere now! She's my little scooterbug!

No comments: